9 1/4 x 7 3/8 in. (23.5 x 18.7 cm)
American, naturalized Mexican,
Medium and Support:
Gift of Mrs. Maurie Clifford
See the interpretive label written by Candace Robertson-James, DrPH, MPH, Director and Assistant Professor, Master of Public Health Program
, for the exhibition Teaching and Learning in the Art Museum: La Salle University Faculty Selections
in the online exhibition HERE
Label from Elizabeth Catlett: Art for Social Justice
, La Salle University Art Museum, March 11 - June 4, 2015:
Reminiscent of Catlett’s earlier linocuts of the 1940s and 1950s, Survivor continues the theme of dignity and endurance in the face of hardship. This striking image is closely based on a photograph by Dorothea Lange titled Ex-Slave with a Long Memory, Alabama, taken in 1937 or 1938. Lange traveled around the country for the U.S. Farm Security Administration from 1935 to1939 documenting the effects of the Great Depression. Catlett’s adaptation of Lange’s photograph for her woodcut of Survivor adds another dimension of meaning, honoring the work of the other artist and giving the image a specific subject matter rooted in African American history.
- "Teaching and Learning in the Art Museum: La Salle University Faculty Selections," La Salle University Art Museum, September 10 - December 14, 2018.
See the online exhibition HERE: http://digitalcommons.lasalle.edu/faculty_selections_2018/.
- "Elizabeth Catlett: Art for Social Justice," Curated by Klare Scarborough, La Salle University Art Museum, March 11 - June 4, 2015.
- "Women on Exhibit," Curated by Madeleine Viljoen, La Salle University Art Museum, September 20, 2004 – January 12, 2005.
- "Recent Acquisitions by African-American Artists," La Salle University Art Museum, February 4th – 29th, 1992.
- "The African-American Image in Art," Curated by Caroline Wistar, La Salle University Art Museum, February, 1990.
Dimensions: 11 1/4 x 9 7/8 in. (28.6 x 25.1 cm)
Dimensions: 20 x 16 in. (50.8 x 40.6 cm)
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios: